Parliament No: 11
Session No: 1
Volume No: 83
Sitting No: 14
Sitting Date: 2007-10-22
Section Name: WRITTEN ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS
Title: INCIDENTS OF VOLUNTARILY CAUSING HURT
MPs Speaking: Mr Wong Kan Seng; Ms Sylvia Lim
INCIDENTS OF VOLUNTARILY CAUSING HURT
2. Ms Sylvia Lim asked the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Home Affairs for the years 2005, 2006 and the first half of 2007, in respect of incidents of voluntarily causing hurt (a) what is the number of reports or calls for police assistance regarding such incidents received by the police; (b) what is the proportion of domestic to non-domestic incidents; and (c) what is the number and percentage of cases in which the police voluntarily initiated prosecution of the suspect and the reasons for police initiation of such prosecutions.
Mr Wong Kan Seng:
In 2005, 5,490 cases of Voluntarily Causing Hurt (VCH) were reported to the Police. In 2006, 6,406 VCH cases were reported while 3,697 cases were reported in the first half of 2007 (from January to June).
Police does not actively track the proportion of domestic to non-domestic incidents for VCH cases.
In 2005, out of the 5,490 VCH cases, Police initiated action on behalf of the victims in 734 cases, which constituted 13.4 % of the VCH cases reported. In 2006, out of the 6,406 VCH cases, Police initiated action on behalf of the victims in 468 cases, which accounted for 7.3 % of the VCH cases reported. In the first half of 2007 (from January to June), out of the 3,697 cases, Police initiated action on behalf of the victims in 319 cases, which constituted 8.6% of the VCH cases reported.
Police will initiate prosecution into VCH cases where there is harm to the public interest and safety, and when it is assessed that the assailant is a bully who is taking advantage of the weak and vulnerable - especially young children, senior citizens and physically or mentally-disabled persons. Police will also initiate investigations into suspected cases of maid abuse or road bullying.
Hitting a controversial patch
They regard some assault cases as civil disputes, raising public furore. By Seah Chiang Nee.
Aug 8, 2006
Not long ago, a gang of older girls beat up a 12-year-old girl in public, video filming the assault, and the tape was widely posted in the Internet.
The assailants were known, but the police said it would not act because nobody had lodged a report with them. It sparked questions about the responsibility of the police when public violence was committed.
Yesterday, another Singaporean wrote to the press to complain that her brother, a doctor in a Singapore hospital, was eating alone at a Geylang food-stall at night when he was approached by six to eight youths who accused him of staring at them
"When he denied doing so, they assaulted him, beating him in the face and abdomen," said Ms Liew Sok Kuan.
According to Ms. Liew, he suffered multiple facial fractures and damage to one of his facial nerves. He had to undergo a three-hour operation, which included having two metal plates inserted around one of his eyes, she said.
"He suffered multiple facial fractures and damage to one of his facial nerves. He had to undergo a three-hour operation, which included having two metal plates inserted around one of his eyes," related Ms. Liew.
They escaped in their motorbikes, but the victim noted two of the bikes' numbers and rang up 999 and reported to them what had happened.
Despite the serious injury in what was clearly a criminal case, she alleged the police shockingly declined to go after the assailants, and instead asked him to lodge a report with the Magistrates' Court, and left
"They advised that this was a civil case and it was for the magistrate to decide if any action was to be taken."
Ms Liew added: "It was only when an appeal was made that my brother's case was reclassified under Section 325 (from Section 323), 10 days after the incident, by which time witnesses would have dispersed and memories faded.
"Had the police acted promptly, especially when they were at the scene, they might have had a better chance of apprehending the culprits as there were witnesses around."
It sparked off a debate about the role and the priorities of the police. Two questions immediately arose: -
* Do they regard violent crime as less important than political activism? A dozen anti-riot policemen carrying shields and batons recently were rushed to disperse four opposition party activists protesting peacefully in central Singapore.
* How many such public assault cases have been classified as civil cases? If it is a general policy, how has it affected the record of crime statistics in Singapore, since civil cases are not classified under 'crime'. In other words, should crime statistics be higher than what is announced?
Public opinion was largely against the police in this case and I believe that a high-level public statement is needed to explain what the police role and responsibility is in the event of a public assault.
Comments online (excerpts)
The incident (mentioned by Ms Liew) should have been classified as a riot as more than five members involved in this assault…
It appears from what the report that the Police were remiss in their action and that they also were not being properly advised as they had or should be in contact with Radio Police at 999 where there used to be a senior officer (an Inspector) on duty to ensure proper classification and action to be taken at the scene.
Someone should be telling the Police that their inefficiency is showing and affecting their reputation and eventually that of Singapore.
Some years ago, my daughter's flat was broken into, the (police) investigator didn't even bother to come down to her flat to look for fingerprints.
In another case early this year, there was a boy from a poor family who suffered two fractured legs as a result of a reckless driver near Woodland. The policeman in-charge of the case only called the father.
Despite of several appeals to ask him to come down to see for himself the seriousness of the injuries the boy had, this investigator simply just couldn't be bothered.
What is the point of having so many police investigators, if they do not want to perform basic functions?
I read with concern the letter in today's Straits Times, "Assault 'a civil case', so no police action".
With the upcoming IMF/World Bank meeting in September, such police inaction ...when police intervention and help are genuinely needed is totally unacceptable.
How will the world view Singapore's law and order when our police are not responsive to genuine needs?
Whispers from the heart said...
All his (police) are now practicing how to control violent protests and learning to operate those cool gadgets they bought to control violent crowds.
Singaporeans who still boast about being able to walk on Singapore streets without worrying about safety better have their brains examined.
You can't even eat at a hawker centre safely.
Probably, the whole Police force is mobilised at the Stadium today to look out for people wearing brown shirts (in support of blogger mrbrown) and making them change into red and white ones.
The modern sikh said...
I've lodged two complaints before and not one of them has been acted on. They're too busy stopping people from bringing DVDs across the Causeway.
Has any one wondered why our "efficient" police force always claims that Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world? The reason seems obvious now, isn't it?
Perhaps it's a case of who's really working for whom. I hate to say this but I am seeing our government as more self-serving than actually citizen-centric. Where's the goodwill?
Three years ago, my mobile phone and wallet were stolen at Bishan sports complex. The items were taken off from my bag and incredibly I wasn't alone. Another guy's bag was stolen as well, I also realised the front desk's ceiling was installed with a round-camera system and a recorder as well. So quickly, we logged a police report at Bishan police post.
Despite my constant reminder that my wallet and phone were stolen, the police on duty logged it as a "loss" case.
I re-logged the case next day at another police post near my house and wasted 1/2 hour to remedy an incorrect police report. Because they need to call back to Bishan post and rectified the error and concerted it with the HQ whatever so.
I told them that the Bishan sport complex had a camera which recorded.. and they would look into the video.
I later checked. No police had viewed the tape. So routinely, the theft case at Bishan gym was chucked under the drawer. And god knows how many more wallets and phones were stolen there since?
When I was much younger, there was a gang fight taking place just downstairs at my flat, with two gangs approaching each other with parangs and other weapons. I called the police who arrived in half an hour or more by which time the fight was over.
RH: "No prosecutor in the world would even dream of prosecuting a man already certified insane in a marital causing hurt incident long forgotten by both sides for decades, if LIE KY had not intervened to thus secure for himself and Singapore billions of dollars worth of free publicity. This, simply, is what it is all about. The Americans were just evil and stupid to get involved."
RH: IT IS NOW PROVEN BEYOND DOUBT THAT FIRSTLY, THE POLICE DOES NOT ACT, LET ALONE INITIATE PROSECUTION, UNLESS A POLICE REPORT IS FORMALLY LODGED AND EVEN THEN, THERE IS NO CERTAINTY THAT THEY WILL FINALLY PROSECUTE.
SECONDLY, THE POLICE NEVER ACTS, LET ALONE INITIATE PROSECUTION, IN MARITAL SPATS.
THIRDLY, THE POLICE NEVER ACTS, LET ALONE INITIATE PROSECUTION, IN "CERTIFIED INSANE" CAUSING HURT CASES.
FOURTHLY, THE POLICE NEVER ACTS, LET ALONE INITIATE PROSECUTION, IN MARITAL SPATS THAT HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN FOR DECADES BY THE COUPLE, WHO INDEED, AFTER THE INSANITY HAS BEEN CURED, WENT ON TO NORMAL WORK AND LIFE AND EVEN BORE A CHILD, NOW AN ADULT.
FIFTHLY, IT IS NOW PROVEN BEYOND DOUBT THAT LIE KY DID ALL THIS FOR PUBLICITY STUNT REASONS, TO GAIN FOR HIMSELF AND HIS TINY CITY, BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF FREE PUBLICITY.
SIXTHLY, IT IS NOW PROVEN BEYOND DOUBT THAT THE AMERICANS WERE SIMPLY INDULGING THEIR NATURALLY VICIOUS NATURE AS POWER ABUSERS AND HYPOCRITES, ABUSING EVERY NORM OF DECENCY, HUMAN RIGHTS, LAWFUL BEHAVIOUR OR AS HONEST, SELF-RESPECTING PEOPLE.
HISTORY IS WATCHING AND RECORDING EVERY CRIMINAL ATTACK AND LOW BLOW FOR POSTERITY. YOU WILL STINK FOREVER.
RH: MY ACQUAINTANCE, MR DAVID DUCLOS, A FORMER POLICE INSPECTOR, AND HIS LAWYER FRIEND, EYEWITNESSED LEE KUAN YEW RIGGING THE 1997 CHENG SAN GRC ELECTION. READ MORE AT MY BLOG ENTITLED "I CAME, I SAW, I SOLVED IT" :
[ALSO AT THE ABOVE BLOG, LIE KUAN YEW's LIES, WRONGFUL JAILING, TORTURE AND BEATING TO DEATH OF INNOCENT POLITICAL PRISONERS LIKE MR CHAN HOCK HUA]
READ ALSO MARTYN SEE's INTERVIEW WITH ME AT:
MY ARCHIVE OF WORKS AT:
My other blog is http://i-came-i-saw-i-wrote-it.blogspot.com/ which is an archive of my works.......... Robert Ho REQUEST FOR STATEMENTS at http://roberthorequestforstatements.blogspot.com/2011/01/robert-ho-request-for-statements.html
- ► 2009 (28)
- ▼ November (5)
- "A Video RH on LKY LHL WKS cheating elections + PoBoB and CCTV Ideas"
- "HOW Y O U CAN PROVE THE SINGAPORE GOVT RIGS ELECTIONS"
- "LIE KY LHL WKS repeatedly cheating elections"
- "LKY LHL WKS election riggings emailed to almost entire govt"
- "Police Report LEE KY LHL WKS cheating elections"
- "PROOF LEE KUAN YEW RIGGED CHENG SAN GRC ELECTION"
- a. MY SWORN AFFIDAVIT OF 16 JULY 2010
- b. EXHIBIT: This post is now Exhibit for Affidavit 16.07.2010: US UK SG govts falsified my son's exam grades again
- c. Several years' jail for false Affidavit
- d. Evil is its own reason
- e. 3rd Email on Intention To Sue HM Govt and PM
- FilmMaker Martyn SEE interviews Cyber Dissident Robert HO
- I have uncovered another HDB scam: SERS
- ICONOCLASSING Pt 1 SINGAPORE GDP MYTHS
- Iconoclassing Pt 2
- ICONOCLASSING Pt 3 or RH Zero Sum Game Theory
- Idea Invention of Portable Ramps for Wheelchairs
- Idea: 5 Stages of Ideology
- Idea: Airport Naming Convention to reduce runway accidents
- Idea: Alphabetising the Chinese language
- Idea: Bespoke software clothes to change the way the world dresses
- Idea: Drive-on Flashing Red system
- Idea: equis to transform world
- Idea: Google as a survey tool
- Idea: HDB community roster CCTV recordings
- Idea: Made FOR China business strategy
- Idea: PC usb medical devices and softwares for medical diagnoses
- Idea: Personal Display Screen [PDS]
- Idea: Recorded readings to the blind
- Idea: RFID Ring as personal identifier
- Idea: Russia can sell Electricity instead of Gas
- Idea: Treasure Hunt games on Google Earth
- Idea: What if America never was?
- Idea: Why China should place Confucius above the Rule of Law
- Idea: A preliminary sketch of the new world
- Idea: Blind Users Interface
- Idea: Halting knife attacks on students in China
- Idea: HIV Register + Hua Tuo SMS diagnosis
- Idea: Influencing the Chinese tourist wave usage of local and US$
- Idea: Low Rations Propellor Disabling etc Strategies to defeat pirates hijacking of ships for ransom
- Idea: New Mandarin script : sinograms + pinyin
- Idea: Random thoughts on World Govt
- Idea: Towards a 7/7 economy and New Communes
- Idea: YouTube News on demand
- Ideas: Creating a Cycling CityState
- Ideas: Improving air travel
- Ideas: Solving BP oil leaks disasters
- Ideas: H1N1.. bird flu.. foot and mouth solutions
- Ideas: Inertia Theory and Similarising Effect Theory
- LIE KY + U.S. STENCH EVEN FOREVER CANNOT STANCH
- LIE KY scratched my car S$2800 to repair
- LKY LHL PAP building Singapore military to "contain China" for US interests
- Math+Science types inferior to Lit+Lang types
- My comment and promise in The Online Citizen [TOC]
- No reply to my complaint against police
- NOT GUILTY BUT TORTURED + DEGRADED 15 YEARS FOR PUBLICITY + FUN
- Not nominated for a Nobel so LIE KY gives himself many others
- NOTHING is important
- PROOF LEE KUAN YEW IS A BRAZEN LIAR
- Pt 5: SOME RECENT LIES BY PAP GOVT LED BY LIAR KY OF COURSE
- Public transport another SCAM by LIE KY
- RH Call For Witnesses
- Some Clean Air Ideas for HK Email 1 Plan A
- Some Clean Air Ideas for HK Email 2 Plan B
- Some Clean Air Ideas for HK Email 3 Plan C
- Some Clean Air Ideas for HK Email 4 Plan D
- Still Under Warranty" but Entropy already setting in
- Stupidest govt of all time
- Vote out 21 politicians and transform Singapore
- WHY GOVTS SHOULD ALMOST NEVER BE EFFICIENT or GENERAL THEORY OF ZERO SUM GAME
- Why Singapore has no economy
- Why we should be able to refuse our organs to Ministers PAP
- Write simple English for computer translations